There are going to be changes in Plaistow and I am pretty excited. London is an ever evolving city and I never expect where I live to remain unchanged. I see new developments as an exciting opportunity to being in some new and also improve the old.
The Plaistow Hub Proposals have been drawn-up by the Council’s developers. The small pictures provided on the first leaflet are a bit hard to decipher, but they involve utilising the underused carpark behind the station, making the most of the split level site. A new tower will occupy the end of the road next to the boxing club. I will be sad to lose my view of the City of London. But hey – there will be more homes for people. 🙂
The other site in the development is the currently mothballed sports pitch on the edge of the park.
Neither site will be without concerns. Was the sports pitch mothballed deliberately? (I don’t know the history of this site so don’t want to jump to conclusion, but the remaining sports pitch does not meet demand). A tall tower will block light to this well used park.
It is early days, but the most important thing is to make sure your voice is heard. It is possible to help shape any development, especially one of this size.
These are the first plans, they don’t have to be the last, the local community should be vocal about sharing what they hope will improve in this area if such a large development goes ahead.
The good news is that as it is a council development they will be more interested in listening and getting this right. Don’t ever think your concerns are too small or that you can’t shape something this significant – you can!
My starting thoughts
I have been thinking a lot about the development. There are lots of fringe benefits that cna be achieved though good planning of this development.
Below are my first thoughts – they won’t be my last:
- We can make significant improvements to the tube station. I have already been talking to TFL about moving the ticket machines away from the entrance to stop congestion, especially with new flats at 212 Plaistow Rd opposite. Now there should be no excuse – this many residents cannot all use the tube and queue for rickets in the same small tiny place.
- It is a good opportunity to bring in step-free access. I see parents with buggies and elderly residents struggle up the external stairs to the south of the station. Now is the time to sort this access out.
- I have been told the boxing club won’t be affected by the building. This is a bit shortsighted – you could probably add more to the development by taking in the footprint of the club and then as part of the development provide a state-of-the -art community facility as part of this development. This would make my boxcercise sessions much nicer.
- How can we increase provision for football and basketball on the park?
- Can we do something with the abandoned church site opposite. There is space here for an extended family sized unit with disabled access.
- How can we secure the future of the largely local and BME owned businesses in the area if there is to be a new high street with a supermarket?
- Recycling provision is a bit woeful in the area and also the residents in the two story flats behind the carpark have now communal bins – they have to out their rubbish bags in the stairwell. Lots of potential improvements here – including small electrical recycling.
I am sure I will have more thoughts, but would be interested to know your thoughts.
The consultation times are below:
PLAISTOW LIBRARY , NORTH ST, LONDON E13 9HL
THURSDAY 27 OCTOBER -2PM – 8PM
FRIDAY 28 OCTOBER – 11AM – 2PM
Email the organisers your thoughts direct – Sheli.Barracluff@yourshout.com